Lodge Histories

The first meeting of the Isis Lodge was held at the Masonic Buildings in High Street Oxford on April 12th 1920. It was called Isis to preserve and commemorate the famous river as it flows through Oxford.
The petition to Grand Lodge in London to open a new Lodge was "lost" and permission was not granted until 17th March 1921. It was not an ideal time to be starting a new Lodge as a wave of strikes beset the Country and 2.5 million people were unemployed. The consecration took place on 28th June 1921.
The Initiation fee was 8 guineas but there was also a fee of 2 guineas for passing and 2 guineas for raising. The annual subscription was £2-12-6 and that included all meals with the exception of the Installation Banquet.
The 25th anniversary meeting was held on 28th June 1946 at the Carfax Assembly Rooms in Oxford. In 1960 meetings transferred to the Masonic Centre at 333 Banbury Road in North Oxford.
The Lodge celebrated its 500th meeting on March 30th 1992 with W.Bro. Richard Jones in the chair. It was attended by over 120 brethren.